Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Keeper League Confidential: Winning Streak!

How quickly and easily fantasy football fortunes can change!


Fresh off his bye week, I hope Fred Jackson is ready to score some more TDs!

Just 2 weeks ago, the Zombies were 1-4 and alone in last place in our division. Now, we're riding a 2-game winning streak into 2nd place (with our consistent high scores breaking a 4-way tie).

Just 2 weeks ago, I offered Fred Jackson for Jamaal Charles in an attempt to build for next year (after a day to think it over, I pulled the offer off the table while the other owner was considering it). Now, I wouldn't part with Fred Jackson for about anything, because the focus is on winning now.

Of course, in another 2 weeks, I could be back to where I was. Such is life in fantasy football land.

This week, I have a re-match against my brother, who will be trying to sweep the Zombies for our regular season series against each other. I've never had much luck against him, but maybe I can keep this streak going now that it's started.

*****

Week 8 Tip: Make a Hail Mary Trade

If your team is not doing great but you're still mathematically in the playoff hunt, now may be the time to make a hail mary trade. Throw everything of value you can at one special difference maker. Then, fill the gaps with waiver wire additions and hope that difference maker pays off. Or if you're mathematically out of it (and in a keeper league), start unloading older players who are producing well for young players who are injured (like the Fred Jackson for Jamaal Charles trade I mentioned above). Just remember that to get something, the other owner is going to expect something too.

*****

Waiver Wire Watch: Week 8

QB: Alex Smith, SF. As you'll probably remember, I was really excited about Tim Tebow last week (and for good reason: he helped the Zombies win). I'm not as excited about Smith, who is a sort of 50/50 QB. Half the time, he produces very well; the other half, not so much. As a result, owners have to gamble on when is an appropriate time to start him (and I've had the same problem this year with Ben Roethlisberger). But beggars can't be choosers.

RB: Alfonso Smith, Ari. Beanie Wells appears to be down, and Smith seems to be his most likely replacement. Of course, he's facing Baltimore this week, which isn't the best match up at all. If Marshawn Lynch's back continues to be a problem, Leon Washington may be an option in Seattle.

WR: Antonio Brown, Pit. Brown is flying under the radar because he's without a TD this season. However, he's put together 4 games with at least 4 receptions and 67 yards. The TDs will come.


The TDs will come for Antonio Brown.

TE: Delanie Walker, SF or Jake Ballard, NYG. Both are coming off a bye week, which means they're good to go for the rest of the season. If you have a choice, I'd say that Ballard has a little more upside than Walker.

DL: Michael Johnson, Cin. This guy is a physical beast, and he just continues to improve. Another good option that probably nobody owns is his teammate, Jonathan Fanene.

LB: Donald Butler, SD. If I didn't already have 4 LBs on my roster, I'd pick this guy up myself (and maybe I will yet). He has 40 tackles, 1 sack, 2 interceptions, and now a TD.

DB: Kyle Arrington, NE. This guy is coming off a bye week, which means he'll be ready to roll for the rest of the season too.

And I'm so glad that Dan Bailey is working out for me at kicker. As you've probably noticed, I'm not a big fan of the position.

*****

Connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.



*****

Check out previous Keeper League Confidential posts:

No comments: